All information, content, and material of this website is for informational purposes only and are not intended to serve as a substitute for the consultation, diagnosis, and/or medical treatment of a qualified physician or healthcare provider. All information of this website is our personal editorial opinion.
Elizabeth BarlettaEditor-in-Chief of Top Mom
A good number of people assume that properly riding a hoverboard is just as simple as placing your feet and moving. Whereas a practiced rider has the right to say this, there are universal hoverboard rules you just can’t ignore.
You just landed at the right spot. Join us as we share our insights on the hoverboard scooter, elsewhere known as the two-wheeled self-balancing scooter. We’ll also update you on the best hoverboard for kids that will leave them in awe.
How to Ride a Hoverboard?
Take it easy before going any further: it’s not rocket science if you just trust the process. Getting started is the hardest part, but with dedication and constant practice, you’ll be performing stunts that’ll make Chris Brown shy off. There are several hoverboard tricks and techniques you can also apply to see that you have a fairly good time when commencing.
Assuming that you already got the hoverboard for kids, place it on a flat surface and locate the switch button at the rear. Here, you will notice a charging port – do not start riding before it’s fully charged. Avoid riding also when the ‘low battery’ sign is indicated. Depending on the brand used, it will take about 2-3 hours to fully charge it – the gauge will tell you when it’s full. In the meantime, before it’s fully charged make sure you read the user manual if there is one.
Now you want to know how do hoverboards work. Mastering hoverboard for kids is quite simple but it needs patience and if possible, have someone by your side to give you support. Hoverboard rules are easy to apply and they will get you started on how to use a hoverboard.
- Attempt standing on the scooter by placing the dominant leg first on the scooter till a green light shows up. This indicates that the scooter that you stand on has responded to the pressure.
- You will need to support yourself on a wall or with someone as you do this.
- Do not delay but quickly place the other leg on the hoverboard using a straight stance. This enables you to stand upright without moving. Once you embark on the two-wheeled scooter, you move on to the next phase.
- Slightly lean your upper body forward to move forward. Don’t lean out too much or else you stand at a high risk of falling. Also, your waist downwards should be in a straight angle. This is how to make a hoverboard faster.
- Lean back slightly to slow down and even reverse. You don’t want to do this frequently as a beginner for your safety.
- Read on to learn how to ride a hoverboard step by step.
What is Hoverboard Riding Technique
By now, you should already be vastly aware of getting on the hoverboard for kids and moving forward and back. Nonetheless, that is not all there is to becoming a pro in the best toddler scooters and adult hoverboards. Consider the following hoverboard tricks and hacks to scale up your experience:
- Place your feet as far away as possible and closer to the wheels for maximum balance and so that the pressure points can be felt by the hoverboard for kids.
- Consider your safety and protection.
- Seeing you can now move forward without assistance, now you can maneuver around. But how do you control a hoverboard? It’s all about learning to control the pressure points and balance.
- To turn clockwise, that is to your right, push the left foot forward with a twist to the right. A sharp right turn can be made by applying more pressure in the push while simultaneously pushing the heel of the right foot down. The vice-versa stands when turning left.
- Learning to make sharp turns may at first not be easy to grasp, but this is the only way you will manage to ride in circles.
You also want to know how to get off a hoverboard for kids. This is simply the reverse for alighting. Simply start by slowing down in a vertical position, switch your pounds to the dominant foot as you step off with the other foot. Jumping off isn’t the most brilliant idea as you may either seriously injure yourself or spoil the best hoverboard for your kiddos.
What are Hoverboard Safety Tips?
Since you’re still in hoverboard beginner mode, consider buying the best toddler scooter as a necessity as some are known to explode due to overcharging the large lithium-ion batteries. To be on the safe side, order your hoverboard for kids from a renowned manufacturer and not from a third party.
Commence by applying hoverboard safety tips and measures such as wearing a helmet, elbow and knee pads, wrist pads, and use a tailbone protector. You can add your lights as indicators to warn others on the position you are going. Ensure you have positioned yourself properly and you will avoid a lot of accidents. Also, hoverboard for kids work best on a flat surface and don’t use it on slopes of above 15°.
Things to Remember When Using a Hoverboard
Relaxation is key – if you kick it off in a tense mode, you will be wobbly all the way and will most probably fall. Once you get used to it, you might notice the hoverboard for kids isn’t balancing correctly and this calls for calibration. To fully understand how to calibrate a hoverboard, you will need to follow the instructions given or the user manual as some may be calibrated over Bluetooth and others using a remote.
To do it manually, place the hoverboard for kids on a flat surface and shut it off using the silver button. Ensure the ground is a level plane field or you will go wrong in this process. Press the power button for 5-10 seconds until you hear a beep sound. You will notice the LED lights flashing for about 30 seconds then you can shut it off again. Turn the device on to test whether the problem is fixed.
How Old Do You have to be to Ride a Hoverboard?
Since they have a legal age of 8yrs when it comes to the best hoverboards for kids, some hoverboards could still support a younger age with a bigger body. Regardless of this, there are certain precautions to consider before choosing the best kids bike and toddler scooters.
A child can start riding as young as 5yrs, but how is their cognitive strength? Are they able to balance themselves and do they understand the risks involved with riding hoverboards for kids? Answering these questions will help you make an informed decision, not merely an emotional one.
How Far Does a Hoverboard Go?
The best hoverboards for kids can exceed a distance of 30 miles. This is around 30-59 minutes full time riding depending on the brand of toddler scooter being used.
How Fast do Hoverboards Go?
Since you now have a basic understanding of hoverboard using including how to get off a hoverboard, generally how to use a hoverboard and also the dangers of hoverboards, the next reasonable question would be how fast do hoverboards go.
The normal speed range varies from around 5-15mph. As a top-mom with young kids, you need to consider getting your kid a slower best toddler scooter with a speed range of 6-8mph. After all, hoverboards for kids are not meant to bring them disaster but fun.
How Heavy is a Hoverboard?
This is also an important factor to consider as it determines how much do you have to weigh to ride a hoverboard. A kid riding a hoverboard can experience the challenge of power loss far from home. One will thus need to carry the hoverboard for kids until one can charge it.
The weight of the hoverboard for kids also determines how easy it is to turn and brake – the heavier models operate better of course and have longer battery life. While most weigh around 20lbs, it’s possible to find others weigh as much as 30lbs. The average capacity it can hold is usually around 220lbs but some are made to support larger and others less weight.
With this guide, you’re sure to get good at riding a hoverboard. However, just reading won’t turn you into a pro, you have to practice. Practice practice practice!
- 1 How to Ride a Hoverboard?
- 2 What is Hoverboard Riding Technique
- 3 What are Hoverboard Safety Tips?
- 4 Things to Remember When Using a Hoverboard
- 5 Conclusion